g i r l h a t t a n

g i r l h a t t a n

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

busy busy busy

Ever read any Kurt Vonnegut? Busy busy busy.

But I can finally get around to writing about my weekend.

Saturday Rachael and I went to see the Wild fashion exhibit at the Met, which was fantastic. As the pix show, I visited some old friends in the Egyptian wing, where I spent so much time as a kid. I took after school classes at the Met in 3rd, 4th and 5th grade. We would sketch in the hall of Arms and Armor, sit in a circle in the Astor court in the Chinese wing, hang out in the dark halls of musical instruments. My totally insanely girly dream was to get married at the Temple of Dendur. I loved the Egyptian wing more than any other part of the museum.

Anyway, we were into the feathers, leopard print and fur at the show. It’s such a weirdly primal relationship that humans have with animals. We long to have the kind of traits that they exhibit – danger, ferocity, raw power. And just putting on a leopard print dress can invoke these feelings. Suddenly a woman is more of a maneater, a predator. A snakeskin glove brings with it a slithery, poisonous air. Feathers make you a delicate bird-like creature, fur can make you long to be stroked. (Freud said fur=pubic hair)

After the museum we ate at the super old skool Lexington Avenue Candy Shop that sort of makes you feel like you’re in Pleasantville or His Girl Friday.

We also visited Tiny Doll House, where we saw miniature books (Harry Potter!), tiny dogs, microscopic silverware and all kinds of small small furniture. Next stop was the Capezio store, where tiny dancers shopped for leotards and I bought hot hot silver latin T-strap shoes.

Sunday there were drinks on the comfy couches in the back of Rialto on Elizabeth street, followed by Winter Pear Martinis and caviar at Pravda. Some of us could barely talk about the terrible tsunami, since we had mouths full of salmon roe.

Later that evening I went to a Golden Globes viewing party at Luis’ apt. Anyone else notice how every man at the awards was wearing a silver necktie? It was like a uniform.

At some point over the weekend, The Neverending Story story was on TV. Well we all know I love taking pictures of the TV. I had to get my man Atreyu. Now, dude over at ThighsWide likes Barret Oliver, but I think Atreyu was a lil’ hottie. If you’re curious what Atreyu – I mean Noah Hathaway - is up to these days, click here.

*Yawn*

There’s more, but it will have to wait for another day.

No comments: