Tuesday, November 28, 2006
dear network executives and ad buyers,
listen. i'm a city girl, and i go out a lot, and i use the awesome DVR. but sometimes i'm home watching TV like any other american.
but i'm not any other american. i'm a working woman of color living in new york. and you need to stop selling me things i have no interest in. are we not living in the future? isn't everyone all about direct marketing?
let me help you help me help myself.
here are the commercials i DO NOT want to see:
- asthma medication commercials
- aarp commercials (screw old people and the social security i'm not getting)
- heartburn medication commercials
- valtrex commercials
- viagra/cialis commercials (please. no more. please.)
- laundry detergent commercials (yawn.)
- car commercials. unless they're in black and white and very stylish with good music so that i almost forget it's a car commercial. (yes, talking to you, jaguar)
- commercials in which a man gives a woman DIAMONDS*
- commericals in which a man gives a woman DIAMONDS but the commercial is really for a credit card (mr suki, akiko, brian - talking to you)*
- commercials for "restaurants" that, because i live in a city with amazing food, i will never ever go to: applebee's, chili's, quizno's.... i would also ban olive garden commericals but my high school boyfriend is in one of them so i won't.
there may be more, i'll keep you updated.
*i'm just too jaded right now